RUSTIC BABY GIRL NURSERY

Our never ending nursery project is finally complete!  I seriously think God made the gestational period of a woman 9 months just so she has time to get everything prepared!  I so didn’t plan on it taking this long, but I’m so happy with how it turned out all the late nights and extra details were definitely worth it.

For starters, here is a reminder about what the nursery originally looked like.  I love the size of this room for a kid’s bedroom, and I also love the spacious closet.  It was a boys bedroom for the previous owners of our house, and definitely needed some updates to make it ready for a little girl.

The first thing was to change the paint color and the carpet.  This process was a little longer than I had hoped, because I was holding out for a cheap carpet remnent.  I starting stopping by the carpet store the day of our 8 week appointment, and stopped by regularly to see what they had available.  I finally found one that I liked and that was the right size and price ($135, total steal!).  We had it installed in July and painted right after that.  I went with Agreeable Gray from Sherwin Williams (thanks to some recommendations from my faithful followers!) and I LOVE how it turned out.

Next up on the list was adding an accent wall.  As you know, I LOVE all things shiplap, so I couldn’t leave this room out!  I’ve only ever done white shiplap, and this time I decided to go with a natural wood look.  I did some research on how I wanted to do it, and I really wanted to stay away from having to stain all the boards (it’s just too time consuming).  I found this prefinished shiplap at Menards, and they had a good sale so I went with it!  Overall, I’m a little disappointed in the overall quality.  The finish scratches fairly easy, and it’s basically just pressed plywood.  However, with that being said, it was 100X easier to install and went way faster than when I use actual lumber.  So I guess you just have to weigh the pros and cons.

My next major project was building a barn door for the closet.  I debated on the best way to do this, and finally decided to make it more decorative than functional.  I didn’t want to loose wall space, and we have an extremely deep closet so it’s basically like a walk in closet.  The door does move from side to side so you can easily access both sides as well.  It isn’t 100% square or perfect, but I’m super happy with how it turned out!  I’ll post a tutorial on how I put it together soon!

Our nursery furniture was a whole new dilema.  We were able to score a crib, dresser, and changing table for $200 second hand!  They were a dark brown, and I wanted more gray elements in the room so I chalk painted them with Annie Sloan French Linen (I did leave the tops the original color to add some depth to the room).

When it came time to put the crib together, I could not for the life of me find the hardware.  After days of searching, I finally decided to contact the company and order new parts.  However, it was discontinued so they no longer made the hardware.  Instead of trying to piece it together with our own hardware, I figured it was safest to just get a new crib.

I knew I wanted to have her name above her crib, and I was planning to have it laser cut.  However, I went over budget on a few other things so I went another route.  I had this 2′ X 3′ frame in the attic, so I painted it to match the barn door and curtains.  I had a piece of plywood underlayment cut at our local lumberyard for $3.47, and designed the wording with Canva.  I sent it to Staples and had it printed on engineer paper for $1.79.  So overall, I have around $8 in the whole project with paint, frame hardware, and other materials!

I hung a couple of floating shelves that I scored on sale at Target to put her books and some decor.  I found a super cute bin at our local Ace Hardware, and used that to store her bows and headbands.  I found some pretty peonies and the framed sign at Hobby Lobby.  I’m still planning on getting a picture frame or canvas with some of Addison’s baby pictures, and maybe some succulents to accent as well.

Even though this project took way longer than I intended, I’m so so happy with how it turned out!  Now we just have to work on transitioning Addi to her own room, but this Mama isn’t quite ready for that yet :).

Updated: January 14, 2019 — 8:12 pm